Week 11- Apocalypse

#1
Chirping were they in a world unknown
Struck by anonymity, mulled with a groan
Framing recognition in a space so vast
So deep in hearts, that it will last.

A gift he had, the magical hands

Could vim a vista, with barren lands
Battered by the challenges he faced
Always left him dim and traced

An angelic beauty, she was

So graceful and poised
Liked swirling in the calm winds
And danced with the butterflies

A day in the life book was witnessed

That they were destined to meet
They shook hands, talked and laughed
And the meetings increased

One day, surged feelings

Confessed their love stored in the cupid’s chest
Soon came the day, they exchanged vows
And built their concrete nest

The days unfolded 

When eyes caught his talent
Money streamed in bounty
As if fate has stitched his pocket’s vent

The days flipped from good to bad

When he returned drunk and doped
He whacked his wife with a wooden chair
And she was left with grim and despairs 

Reduced were to shanties

What once happened to be a marble palace?
He died younger, she withered in solitude
It was an apocalypse

-Priya Girijan (Writer of the Week)

FE, SIES Graduate School of Technology

#2 Catastrophe

Loss and grief 
Measure my sorrow
Says the one left
In a ruined tomorrow

Burnt soil
Soiled clothes
None spared 
As I stared 
At the clouds
They poured down blood
An acid of hate
In a frightened state
Ran for cover
As I saw death descending
With a smirk on his face

The day that demons
Of destruction
Descended from
Skies of blue
Darkening the day
Blinding white lights 
Clouds of black
Wiping smiles off the faces
That once lit up with daylight

I survived 
I don't know how
I don't know why
No one else did
As far as my sight 
Could see beyond the smokes
Of annihilation

As I walked
Beyond the walls
Where hell had smoked all
To dust in one moment
I feared my enemies
Must have survived

They had my love
Kept captive
I thought I had lost her
But then I found them 
All lying burnt to a crisp
Wrath, greed, lust
Envy, pride, sloth
And there was the last of them 
Gluttony...

I lost all hope
To find my hope
But then I found her...
Just a mile ahead.
At long last, I found hope.

Together we shall prevail
Because today I, humanity,
Has survived.
Survived with hope...
A hope for a better tomorrow.

-Nishant Nair
SE, SIES Graduate School of Technology

#3 Global Perish

The world will never be the same

Sickness is spreading, our children are dying,

The world is gripped with a war plague,
Shadows are lengthening and the people are trying,
To live their damned last days,

Corrupt governments establish a New World Order,

A way to procreate mankind's genesis,
Laying their weapons and creating new borders,
A worldwide sedated psychosis.

Nuclear winter, radioactive pathos,

Like the devil's wing on the air,
Pray. Shovel. Dismember. Rot.
Mass hunger and sickness which can no longer be bore.
We had sown the seeds of destruction,
And now the planet has been harvested,
All life has been lost, no more reconstruction,
Mankind has finally failed when tested.

The skies are grey,

The world's twilight is here,
Nothing seems real now,
Soon everyone will just close their eyes,
Is this the glorious end which we see?
The earth has finally been annihilated.
And we see everything now.

Global Perish,

The last days of life,
Global Perish,
Now the world stops.

Global Perish.


-King Reign


#4

The old architecture embraces the storm
The chaos yearns to be still
The aging arch of the metropolis dorm
Smiles at the memories of yore
That each collapsing brick spills
The army amassed conforms
To the dreary drill
Some subjects rejoice, some subjects mourn
Breaking out of this Bastille

The storm passes
And the debris lay deceased
My birds of thought finally escape the latches
Baffled to say the least
Since they don't not know the song to sing aloud
Chirp with cheer or ramble and whine
Whether it is the time for the sun to set
Or is it finally the time to shine
A realization through the thin air grips
The slate has to be cleaned to draw a new design
A new beginning merely obliges an apocalypse

-Nilay Shah
FE, D. J. Sanghvi College of Engineering


#5 Emocalypse
I am not sure whether such a word exists in the dictionary. It’s because it’s my creation. The word sounds like apocalypse which in a lay man’s language means a disaster. Yes the word emocalypse has come from emotional apocalypse. We never associate apocalypse with our humane feelings, it’s always been linked to a larger scale. So I felt emocalypse will fill the void. Tell me is a loss of a loved one anything shorter than an apocalypse? I don’t think so. The pandemonium that starts in our heart, we can’t define it. At that instant we don’t feel anything. It’s as if the world we lived in has come to an end. It is an emotional disaster. Those moments when we realize you will never see him or her ever again give us nightmares which haunt us even in the broad daylight.  Tears flow endlessly. In ancient Greek apocalypse used to mean unveil or disclosure of something hidden.  True, then the deepest emotions in our heart regarding our loved ones get unveiled, emotions which we didn’t even know they ever existed.  The sweet memories which we try to recollect become just mere fragments of our past. Yet after all this life moves on and forces us to move on as well. You feel its new a life. In the Revelation of John, the last book of the New Testament, the revelation which John receives is the beginning of the new age where good rules the evil.  After the emocalypse ends, it is then we finally realize the true value of our loved ones.  Somewhere in our mind we take a vow to never take the relationships for granted. That is in some sense a victory of good over our evil materialistic mindset. 

-Aman Sharma
SY, B.Sc, St. Xavier's College, Ahmedabad

#6 Truthful Fear

To and fro, To and fro, I kept swaying my armchair restlessly. The lack of any brain stimulation was killing me. The only stimulation I was getting was from the crossword puzzle I was solving and the only body moment I had was petting the cat on my lap. I couldn't do anything anyway. It was completely flooded outside. My parents were stuck in office. I’m sure they would be happy, they’re workaholics anyway. Despite the after effect of pouring rains, i.e. cool environment I felt hot so I switched on the fan involuntarily only to realize even the electricity is gone. The rains stopped after 13 days but the whole city was a wreck.

Just then my phone rang, Jenny called up, as usual all loud and screaming. But this time she had an actual reason to shout. “LOOK OUTSIDE IT'S SNOWING OUTSIDE. IN FREAKING MUMBAI!!” To my cat’s disappointment, I jumped to go quickly to my balcony.


It was snowing! I tried to catch the flakes because I really couldn't believe my eyes. My conversation with jenny ended abruptly, as I got calls from my parents and few other friends to discuss the same. My WhatsApp and Facebook account were filled with statuses about the snow. But like any other news, and probably because we were all stuck at home, the discussion eventually died down as we couldn't do anything about it anyway but stay at home and lay eggs.


But that too changed, the weather started acting strangely and I became worried if my parents were okay. Every time I called, the nagging woman kept saying the phone was in out of coverage area and no amount of swear words to any of the damned service providers  was bringing their cell reception back. Eventually my phone battery died too. As I lit the candle at night, the hot wax slightly burned my fingers, and I dropped the candle in a hurry. I am a clumsy person by nature, but I am even worse when I am worried. I cooked some food for myself and my pets. Ended up eating nothing and decided to just lie down and try to sleep.


Half asleep I heard the phone vibrating, and then I realized the phone is switched off. I stood up to see everything around me was shaking. God it’s an earthquake! Relying on the books I read when I was in school, I took my cat and sat below the table. I could hear the cutlery in my kitchen smashing badly and my cat was as terrified as I was. Eventually the earthquake stopped. I didn't want to be left alone so I quickly tried to get out of the house to go to my neighbors place.


In the bizarre moment, my cat jumped out of my hands and scurried elsewhere. Panicking, I tried to catch up to him. He was quick and he quickly jumped up to the cupboard. I started screaming and shouting to tell him to come down. The ground started shaking again and my cat came down near to the big window. As I quickly tried to catch the cat, the glass of the window shattered into pieces right in front of my eyes, as the huge wave of water swept away my whole building. Something hit my head badly while I was underwater and that jerk woke me up! Sweating and panicky, I was glad to be back on my armchair. It was only a dream! I drank a glass of water, and I called up jenny to tell the crazy dream I had. She didn't give me the chance to talk, she screamed “LOOK OUTSIDE IT'S SNOWING OUTSIDE. IN FREAKING MUMBAI”. I cut the call in horror...


-Vignesh VK

FE, SIES Graduate School of Technology



#7

“This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.”
                                    ― T.S. Eliot

The Apocalypse-The biggest troll being played on us from centuries. The Mayans long ago created a calendar that was set to expire on 12/21/12. Many across the world have interpreted this as a doomsday prophecy and are flocking to areas of supposed significance, awaiting the end of times. But as the clock struck midnight on "doomsday" nothing happened. It was more like the Mayans had played a huge prank on us. Man I can’t tell you how much I waited for that celestial voice to come out and say "this is the end, your time is up my time is now…" Now the question arises what if the apocalypse was yet to happen? Well they say "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" so let’s hope the Apocalypse begins there. On a much serious note, it is very much possible for the occurrence of an Apocalypse. With the exponential growth in global warming conditions one can just pray to the almighty for safety. As they say science and faith go hand in hand. We are just maybe a couple of years away from a catastrophic big bang. So what would the Apocalypse be like? An entrance to a new dimension? Or would planet earth be erased off forever? NO one knows. So for now enjoy your latte and omelette with bread.


-Chaitanya Ramji

FE, SIES Graduate School of Technology

#8
As the first rays of the sun fell on the eastern front gushing through the dense clouds of dust and nitrite, it found no one to welcome it. This morning there were no birds flying high with their wings spread to welcome the energized vitamin D nor were any hens with their routine kukuduku to wake up their fellow masters. There was only dust and dense smoke up in the atmosphere and the mighty wind blowing as it never did before.

It only seemed strange. It seemed the whole world went missing in a day, but where was everyone? As the day grew clear one could have easily seen huge cylindrical pointed metal objects broken lied everywhere. But there was no one to see it. Was it raining metals last night? The Massive Pacific and Atlantic Ocean could experience something inside them. Something broken, sunken, something that was responsible for the destruction. If someone flew over the land from west to east, he would definitely notice the dome of the white house went missing, there was no statue of liberty, the Eiffel tower reduced to half its size, the Leaning tower became THE HORIZONTAL TOWER, The Thames disappeared, The Himalayas moved into the sea, The great wall of China was indeed a Chinese product, it couldn't last. Everything seemed different. And not to forger there were human bodies everywhere, dead bodies. If any of the Great men that lived on this blue planet was alive, he would describe it as 3D. Distorted, destructed, and destroyed. 

No one knows what happened, no one could ever know. People who knew did not live to tell the tale. So was this the end of life form on the planet? Or was it the beginning of some other race? 

Several millennia later, some scientists would discover that- there might formed remained an acid puddle, from where a minute lever a pulley and a pivot came together to form the first organisms ever. And as they started evolving they became more complex and later became organisms with a million core processor. They never knew that a complete race n generation of living organisms perished within no time. So what would they breathe?  Oxygen?  No. Maybe cyanide or nitrite.  What made them survive?  Maybe radiation! 
Why?  Because life never ends! It only adapts, adjusts and accepts!

-Rushabh Gala
SY, B.Sc, Ramnarain Ruia College, Mumbai.

#9

Apocalypse has various meanings and approach. It means widespread destruction and in some context revelation especially about the end of the world. The apocalypse of nuclear war is a live example to us. Jesus Christ, the child of god was sent to enlighten mankind about the almighty, who himself is the truth , the life, the way, in whose loving care we his children will be always happy and content, to see him in every living being and serving them as that would itself be service to him. The heavenly father had sent his child to save this world from the apocalypse of humanity. But the changing face of human values where humans are shunning spirituality and embracing materialism, loss of respect and value to our mother nature will lead to an apocalypse if these attitudes don’t change for the better i.e.  We become “Humans” in true sense!

Wild, dark times are rumbling toward us, and the prophet who wishes to write a new apocalypse will have to invent entirely new beasts, and beasts so terrible that the ancient animal symbols of St. John will seem like cooing doves and cupids in comparison.


-Amruta Duduskar

FE, SIES Graduate School of Technology

#10

“Jessica run... Get on the plane quicker!” And saying so Jake, the hero, turns on the ignition and starts the plane. Marcy and the kids get on it. Then, Jake swings the plane into the air and off they go leaving a devastated and crumbling New York City behind. Marcy, Jake and the kids end up at a temporary camp awaiting the destruction.
This was a typical movie scenario depicting an apocalypse.
Movies like ‘2012’, ’Resident Evil’, and the comical ‘Zombieland’ did a pretty good job embedding the idea of “The END” in our minds. The Mayan calendar also played its part by adding fuel to this fire.
After predicting the end on 12/12/12 (which didn't happen) and then postponing it to 21/12/12... Well, that wasn't ‘the day’ either. This left all the future predictors dumbfounded and wondering “will it really end?”  
Tsunamis, earthquakes, landslides do give us a trailer of this great “apocalypse”. Even if nature’s fury was to be ignored, men waging war against each other would surely let us have an appointment with it soon.
However, day and night slogging it out , then waiting for the sky to fall, has now turned into a boring affair .It has convinced me that the world  is  not really going to end when we want it the most (pre-exam, post-vacation etc.).

Dejected, I continue with my work (well, at least plan to) with a heavy heart. But at the back of my mind (just like others), I am curious about the”END” but with a gulp of fear.

-Sayali Upasham

FE, SIES Graduate School of Technology

One Response so far.

  1. The Apocalypse has always attracted people in a perverse way.Almost everyone agrees that if the world does end it will be a tragic affair which will surely result in the death of almost incalculable number of living beings and will destroy everything we have worked hard to build.Building will tumble down, the great bridges which once connected our cities together will crumble under the wrath of mother nature......simply put it will be a scene of utter destruction and chaos and yet we wonder constantly about how it would be.Our movie makers further infatuate us with their romantic or righteously violent versions of their own apocalypse.But just for the sake of argument I would like to mention an idea published in the best-selling book "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown,it was overwhelmed by the bigger plot of the book but the idea somehow stuck in the back of my head.The book proposed that instead of the apocalypse meaning the end of the world it could mean the time of enlightenment which will usher in a new world.The word apocalypse itself means 'to unveil' in greek so the apocalypse might not mean the end of THE world just the end of the world as we know it.
    But for all we know things might actually be falling in place for the dramatic end of the world just as we cannot rule out the possibility of the Apocalypse being ushered by a discovery in a laboratory.So I guess we just have to cross our fingers and get on with our lives because whether or not the apocalypse comes there will always be people ready to yell,spit and swear at us.

Leave a Reply