Week 24- Nostalgia Shop


# Extremity
Dear diary,
I had a fight with her today…go away, just let me live! Yeah that’s what I told her.
She was really hurt. I can see. She sobbed. Tried to convince me, grabbed my hand and held it tightly. She told me to think again and that we will discuss about it tomorrow. But I got myself free and just left.
I had to. It wasn’t easy, it had to look real. I had to try so hard to stop myself from making her calm by hugging her. 
It couldn't have been done the easy way, if I told her the truth she would support me till the end. I didn’t want her to be a part of this mess. She was safe without me.
I cannot be weak now. I don’t know what I did was right but it has to be done.
I hope you understand.
Yours,
Andrew


It was already two hours since she came into the café with the intention of meeting him. She took a sip of water and stared at the door. It was dusk. She had told him to come. Getting annoyed, she stood and went out. Still no sign of him.
It started raining heavily. The smell of earth, the sound of rain, cars zooming, it was as if time stood still. There were people around but she felt alone. 
She could give anything at that moment just to see him coming. But it seemed he wouldn’t come. She felt hollow. There was intense pain in the place where her heart was. As if somebody had stabbed her. An unusual crave which made her feel incomplete.
Still she stood there. Fully drenched.

She stayed for the sake of the smiles they shared. For the excitement when they did some mischief. For the adrenaline when they explored places together. For the unending conversations they had. For the triumphant feeling when she won a silly argument.
She stayed for the ecstatic feeling when he uttered those three magical words in the middle of a bridge. Then he had kissed her passionately. She stayed for that first kiss. And many other irresistible intense moments. 
For the feeling of security she had when he held her hand while she cried. For the unsaid commitment which made them be with each other even after they faced problems.
She stayed for what she felt during these experiences. Because that’s what was left with her. His memory.


“Lisa!” somebody knocked the door, “Are you there? Let’s go.”
“Yeah”, she sighed and closed the diary.

-Dharini Dutia
SE, SIES Graduate School of Technology, Navi Mumbai.

#
To the world, he was success personified,he was someone who had carved his way from being a small-town salesman to an established business person who had been listed on the Forbes. But the truth within him reflected otherwise. He had achieved all the glory that he had once feared dreaming of,but in the process,  he had stopped dreaming. His present was a dillying the eyes of the people around him for he had nothing more to conquer. For him, his past was glorious. Today he had everything but a family, he lacked a life. When alone, he would time-travel to those merry days when he had no wealth to lose but was content with the love his family had for him. But this time-travel was quite different, he couldn't bring all the happy moments back with him. What he had to live with was denial of the present and nostalgia, nostalgia and nostalgia alone...

Peeping into the pastand sifting through memories of old days, you find some treasures which are and will be forever priceless and then you realise your eyes have moistened but there's a gleam of joy in those eyes. Such is the gift of nostalgia.

Nostalgia is synonymous with travelling through those memory lanes which have given you immense joy in the past and continue to be a source of elation in the present too.

My personal favouriteof all the nostalgic moments are those of my cool school times.

Memories of school days are worth a king's ransom for anyone who has had fun at school. Waking up hesitantly, giving your mom that I-dont-want-to-go-to-school look, agreeing to go to school in exchange of your favouritecandy, sharing your lunch with your best friend, earning a pat on the back from your teacher and then finally ending up having a wonderful day at school are some beautiful moments that everyone wishes to treasure for a lifetime. When these moments freshen up your mind, that is nostalgia.Years later, amongst the various reasons that cause stress and make your life monotonous, if youhave a  reason to smile then that is nostalgia indeed!

So make your today as splendid as possible, so that tomorrow you have a treasure trove of fond memories to reminisce!

-Jagruti Shenoy
TE, SIES Graduate School of Technology, Navi Mumbai.

#
I have been missing those moments. It feels as if everything has been robbed off me all of a sudden. Not just me, everyone around the globe who have been following them for more than a decade. It’s a great prestige to talk about them because the way they excelled at their job and of serving the nation, they remained very true to their credentials which were duly tagged on them later. They had something in them which would make you love them, adore them and respect them. For years they enthralled everyone who followed them, like a magician performing some great illusions. Years rolled by, with us getting entrapped in the sweet illusions and the occasional failures of these great magicians. Today when I revisit those magical moments and come to terms with the reality, an uneasy smile takes shape on my face and a drop of tear escapes my eye. Such was the impact of the great 'Fab Five of India' had on me...

-Amitej Mupliyath
SE, SIES Graduate School of Technology, Navi Mumbai.

Leave a Reply