Scintilla 2.0

# Time Stood Still
I must have been dreaming for sure. It just could not be real, or could it? Because the cold December wind carried with it a pleasant smell of the night-blooming white flowers, the stars outshone the moon and proudly burnt with passion like never seen before.

It was 'Paradise Found' and it did have its Adam and Eve. Eve, with her flawless beauty outdid them all. The proud stars stood no chance against her gleaming blue eyes, the eyes which were trying to tell me some secret. Her soft gaze could pierce right through my heart. The cool wind gushing against my cheeks could not match the innocent touch of her gentle, soft lips. The mysteries of the curls of her long, black hair were more intriguing than the mysteries of the dark, night-sky.

As I stood there, in the shadow of her angelic beauty, I could not help but wonder whether she was aware of what her presence did to me. Was she even aware of those glances, the passers-by threw just to catch a glimpse of her?

Her carefree laughter answered all my queries for she did not care about the world. She cared only for those, whom she loved. The dilemma was whether I was one of them?



I thought that the night would never end, that I could look into her telling eyes forever, that I could hold her hand forever, that I could breathe-in the scent of her forever, but it was not to be. I could now sense her hesitation; she turned away and started to leave. But I just could not let her go. I needed to tell her everything. I needed to tell her that I had found love. But I did not. I could not. I could only watch in dismay as she drifted away slowly. And then suddenly she stopped as if confused and trying to make a decision.

I did not really want her to reach a decision. It was not necessary because I was happy with things as they were. I was willing to secretly love her forever. I was selfish and I could not let her go away. I could not let go of her comforting presence, of her healing warmth. Her brief moment of confusion blessed me with a few more minutes to look at her and take in all things beautiful. It looked like she had made her decision.


So, standing at the imaginary crossroads, separated by things only abstract, in the cool and moist night air and with the stars as witnesses, Eve with her unsure eyes looked at me and I looked at her and time stood still.

-Pramit Kumar
Creative Head, Scintilla Weekly
FE, SIES Graduate School of Technology

# Battle Before a Battle

It would be rather thrilling to get into the mind of a combatant preparing for combat than to get into his mind after combat. A soldier is merely an unidentified element of the authoritative tool used by the government of his country. Although he is a fraction of the army, he remains human, with his feelings and his doubts. He tries to envisage the awfulness that lies ahead, the main one being the fact that he probably will have to slaughter.
With the anomaly of a minority of mentally malfunctional individuals, the act of killing another man is one of the most disturbing experiences a fighter can face in war, even more than braving his own life under fire. Like in any other animal species, average human beings are deeply disinclined to bring about the death of their fellow beings and, when they do so, can be scarred for life if not given the apposite doctoring. But let's not forget that the entity we’re dealing with here is a professional warrior – and not a pitiable recruit sent into the middle of a conflict with only a crash-course in weaponry – he has been hardened for this breed of circumstances and shelling the enemy is a deep-rooted impulse through incessant armed training – some kind of catechizing.

At this point, the soldier questions himself. ‘I am just a tool of my government. Am I a part of the sin that my nation is committing? Did the Allies who chipped in the First Gulf War have the right to engage in a war with a country so distant for such preposterous reasons so as to protect the oil fields for the West?’ Or probably he minimally refers to the reality that his comrades will slay too, thus making them all partners in crime.


It is obvious that the Gulf War was not a propos ending a tyranny, but about shielding and monopolizing the crude oil drilling in Kuwait. There was hegemony of fear; corruption in many other countries, but no one was interested enough in ending any of them in any way. It is a known fact that the use of force can be indispensable in particular circumstances and we know deep down that there's no other way.


-Vivek Venkatram

Founder and Publisher, Scintilla Weekly
FE, SIES Graduate School of Technology

# Nature's True Artist

I came across a little flying bumble bee today at my place, it was visiting my place quite frequently, I was surprised to see it day in and day out trying to get into a corner of the curtain tassel withholding a leaf, as curious as I was, I at first I tried to shoo it away, but it won’t budge. I made it a point to analyse and see for myself what it was up to. And there it was.
People always underestimate the power of all the tiny creatures that surround us, not realizing the work that they do each and every day is a hundredfold difficult than what we do, in their tiny finger snap duration of life. Even a humble cricket’s voice can tear off our ear drums, the sheer intensity of it, just is astounding to say the least. That only when it mates or fights among each other. Imagine one holding a grudge against us. We’d be done for.
I saw an artist so creative that would put us all human kind to shame. It was after all just a bee. A simple humble bumble bee. What it created made me realize how amazing any creature can be. We are blessed to be among nature’s creative geniuses, we should rather take inspiration from them.
A beautiful alcove, almond shaped the curves so gently blended made completely of leaves, the way the leaves cascaded was a wonder to me, the way the little honey droplets was symmetrically aligned and the way the suns reflection shone the alcove brightly, my eyes had a feast looking at the complete abstractness of it all, how can it be even possible? How could it have been held on for so long? I had no answer to that; I never came across something so beautiful, so astounding and something that intrigued me to my core.
-Haripriya Iyer
Editor-in-chief, Scintilla Weekly
FE, SIES Graduate School of Technology

5 Responses so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    this is a great article. precise, with great impact. as perfect as it could get.

  2. sooo beautifully written .. pramit and vivek..
    TIME STOOD STILL: falling in love is actually very rare wen love defines passion for the loved,care,and appreciation in any vulnerable circumstances... love is explained in the widest horizon... loved the article... a gush of emotions....
    BATTLE BEFORE A BATTLE: a war in the soldiers mind begins much before he enters into the battlefield... he has to get ready for the dreadful situations he has to face.. such a nice article vivek... a nice thought..really... sooo gud ....

  3. Priya..thanks a lot and good to know that u actually went on to realize and appreciate the underlying meanings :)

  4. I like how each post is pedantic in nature. They have analysed in great detail what many of us can summarize in one line. It made for a refreshing read. Keep it up!

  5. Beautifully written articles...Its amazing such simple topics could be described with so many words with touch of emotion, depth and knowledge...great work...keep it up!

Leave a Reply