Week 6- Parallel Universe

#1
I doubt if I'm qualified enough to comment or 'express my views' on a rather scientific topic like 'A Parallel Universe' but I'll give it a shot anyway. Why do I think I'm not worthy of writing about multi-verse?
For starters, because the Michio Kakus and Stephen Hawkings are doing the same with years of research under their belts while I aim to do so with the knowledge I gained from watching the 26 seasons of Doctor Who or Ben 10 and Professor Paradox create time travelling devices. I will; however, talk about an idealistic universe.
Continue Reading
I dream, not of a universe with superheroes, mind control devices and the ability to fly (which would be pretty awesome) but, of one with little modifications, little things that will make our lives a LOT better.
A universe where the water from the shower is perfectly lukewarm and the fan regulators have intermediate speeds of 3.5/4.5 too.
A place where we don't crush our pinky toe on the chair leg and our morning breads don't land on the buttered side.
A place where there is a single type of AC power plug/socket in every country and a common soap for body, hair and clothes.
A place where printer cartridges don't run out of ink when needed the most and where ball pens don't disappear from the pen stand when your dad wants to note down an important phone number.
A place where the old Cartoon Network was never replaced and earphones don't get tangled up in your pocket.
A place where casual profanity isn't looked down upon but confession pages and the shallow confessors are.
A place where my friend's house is connected to mine via a secret tunnel and where you don't wake up before seeing the 'Happy ending' of your dream.
And lastly, a place where the inspiration after reading a book or watching a movie lasts longer and procrastination doesn't exist.

Oh wouldn't that be marvellous?
-Aaditya Menon (Writer of the Week)
FE, SIES Graduate School of Technology

#2

The universe as we know it is governed by something called the Schrödinger’s equation, which describes the behaviour of everything around us.
Solutions to this equation are called wave-functions. These solutions are in general not unique. So you basically can have a body in various different states. The full solution is given by a weighted addition of all the solutions, which means that every state can exist with a certain probability.

The traditional interpretation of this, called the Copenhagen Interpretation, says that before you do a measurement (observation) on the body, ALL these states exist, superposed on one another. A measurement causes the body to randomly acquire one of the many states.

Continue Reading
What in the world has this got to do with parallel universes, you ask? Well, one interpretation of there not being unique solutions, proposed by Everett in 1957, is that when faced with a decision, the Universe splits into multiple Universes, taking complementary decisions in each one.

This means that whenever there is a probability of the body being in one state or the other, the Universe splits into two Universes, identical in every aspect except that in the first one, the body exists in the first state and in the other state in the second one.

A spectacular example is Schrödinger's cat.
We all know what this particular experiment is about. There’s a cat in a completely isolated box, with a radioactive sample with a 50% chance of decaying. If it does decay, it sets off a mechanism which kills the cat. So the question is, is the cat alive or dead?
We can see that there are two states: alive and dead, each with the same probability.

The Copenhagen interpretation says that BOTH the states exist until we observe the cat. This means the cat is both dead AND alive until we observe it (!); in which case the wave function collapses (assumes either of the two possible values).

The many Universes interpretation ALSO claims the cat is both dead and alive. But, each of these cats exists in DIFFERENT Universes, which will go on to have their own futures and will split further into more Universes, ad infinitum.
You can imagine how many parallel Universes the interpretation leads to, and each event in these universes leads to even further splitting. Compare that with the number of events that take place every second and the number of Universes is mind-boggling.

Oh and it also means that practically anything you can think of has or will happen, in one of these Universes.

Sadly, the math doesn't allow communication between two different Universes. So even if this interpretation turns out to be right, don’t expect to understand what would have happened if Hitler had won World War II.

-Mihir Kulkarni
FY, B.Tech, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay


#3
(Please note: Following is a mixture of the same account from different points in time, written in parallel)

It was the smell of blood; I felt it. My right eyebrow bled profusely. I opened my eyes to see the wreckage of my car. Oh God! I managed to escape.


It was a wonderful morning. I loved driving. My best friend and I were today going on our first cross country drive. We were elated!


My body had almost collapsed. I managed to lift my broken rib. I saw my friend; I am shocked! His mortal corpse lay in a pool of blood.

Continue Reading
We were cruising along the highway. 160 kmph have me unmatched thrills. My friend was singing along the tunes of his favourite song.

I coughed blood. I can't bear its foul smell. My mind drifted into unconsciousness. God! Help me.

I pressed on the gas even further. We decelerated into a blind curve. Suddenly a blue car came out of nowhere. I screamed; my reaction was a fraction late. I heard a deafening crash of metals. My face became pale and traumatized. I was alive. I looked at my friend. He was too shocked to speak; but he was fine. I calmed my racing pulse. God! You had saved me.
My mind flickered. I woke up panting. Oh wait; was it a dream?

I woke up within an intensive care unit. I lost my dear friend. My body pained. But wait; how did he escape alive in my dream? I am confused; what prompted a dream wherein my dear friend escaped alive. In my conscious reality, how is he no more?

I recovered from the trauma. I believe from that day that PARALLEL UNIVERSES do exist. Two simultaneous probabilities of an event occur, albeit in different universes. My psychiatrist says that my dream, in which I saw my friend escape, might have been a case where I transmigrated into a different possible scenario of the accident, in a different possible universe. I now believe he was true.

I now understand a frightening possibility of different scenarios of our lives, our beings, in different possible universes. Just as my body recovered from the stress trauma of the accident, I asked into eternity; is my dear friend still together with me in that Parallel Universe?

-Vishnu Chandrasenan
FE, SIES Graduate School of Technology

#4
I was walking down the street during a dull sunset. Noise made by the vehicles in the road was adding my anxiety. It was exactly a year after an argument with my best friend which was the reason being us not talking.

I saw a pebble on the road and casually kicked it. The pebble hit a car running on the road, which was behind a truck full of oil barrels in the traffic. The driver came out of the car as he halted it at the side way. He moved on within minutes, as he realized that it was just a pebble.
Continue Reading
Within moments there was a loud noise on the road, the barrels in the truck started to fall one after the other. No one was harmed. I called up the emergency services and moved on, walking straight home.

I began to wonder, what if I hadn't kicked the pebble. Then the car wouldn't have stopped! It would have continued following the truck and gradually the driver could have got killed! Suddenly the Theory of Parallel Universes by Dr. Michio Kaku came in my mind. When I kicked the pebble, a parallel universe must have been formed where the driver was killed! I thanked the almighty for avoiding a disaster.

As I reached home, I began to remember about my old friend again. My brain began to apply the theory of parallel universes here too. I started questioning myself 'What if I had not argued with him? What if that day had never happened? '. I would live a better life. We wouldn't have ended our friendship at all! We could've shared our joys, sorrows, stories, adventures, even the incident that took place earlier that evening! The moment we started arguing, a parallel universe must have been created where we were still best friends! I felt jealous of 'Me' from that other parallel universe. Then I picked up my phone, dialled his number, and called him to clear all misunderstandings, before some other 'me' from some other parallel universe does that! And now we are again Best friends forever!
-Aniket Raje
FE, SIES Graduate School of Technology

#5
If at all in a parallel universe everyone knew what penitence was.
It was a cold and a dark place. 
Secured in handcuffs and chains, they forcibly took me through a narrow corridor, I could barely look up. I was leading into an abyss. Abyss made by death. It was hovering over my head. Laying its ice cold hands on me. A chill went through my spine, my soul yearned to escape my body – “Let me out of here!!” it shrieked. It was my doomsday. A tear rolled off my cheek.
Trepidation.
Continue Reading
As I was taken further ahead, I see souls lining the walls of the corridor. Souls, looking at me through their piercing eyes. I stood there in disbelief. Those souls started piercing through my body. Inflicting pain on my broken, escaping soul. The horror I was going through was Indescribable. Was I hallucinating? I didn't know of it. But I felt every ounce of pain these souls inflicted on me. Their fear, and their horror and their pain that I made them feel when I killed them were all injected into me. Realization.

“Help! Please don’t! No! Don’t Make Me Go! I seek forgiveness! No! Don’t! Stop!” I could hear the whispers of those dead souls all over; cursing me. I tried to look away. I stopped. I feel down on my knees. They tried to lift me up but my body wouldn't budge an inch. My soul gripped the ground tightly never letting go of it. They dragged me along the harsh rough surface, my nails screeching the floor. I couldn't take it any more. I gave up. Repercussion.

All those souls, whom I mercilessly tortured, killed. The wounds I left on their bodies, the scars that would never heal. The pain I inflicted on them. The fear in their eyes. The sheer intensity of the scream they let out when I approached them like a vicious piranha. Their collective fear altogether instilled inside me forcefully was more than enough to bear. All coming back to me now. Remorse.

I rose realizing what fear was. What an abomination I was. I felt that all my wrong doings have been repented. I accepted what fate had in store for me. My soul finally saw the light. As if the great Buddha touched my soul and perished the darkness contained in it. Redemption.

The tortured souls flew away from my body, almost forgiving me. Once again a tear rolled off my cheek but this time it was not because of fear. My soul rested for the first time at peace. My heart steadied. I unclenched my fist. Rejuvenation.

They took me into a room where rats feared to sneak in. There were a few chairs with people sitting on them, in front of me. Some ceremony, I thought. I was taken to the stage and seated on the chair. My hands and feet were tied to it. I was unable to move; rather I didn't want to move. I was belted and tied up shoulder to toe. Sitting there I could see a million emotions on the people’s faces in front of me. Anger, disgust, loath, pity, sorrow, relief, hope. They covered my face with a black hood. They put a wet sponge on my head; I felt the water passing through my ears, dripping on my shoulder. I heard the priest praying for me. "Our father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name."...
I heard the pull of the lever.
I smiled.
Electrocuted.
My soul peacefully leaving my rotten body.
The devil in me was abrogated.

-Haripriya Iyer

Editor-in-chief, Scintilla Weekly
FE, SIES Graduate School of Technology


#6
Reigning on its sweet symphonies of ancient lore 
Celestial desert fading as a distant mirage
Secrets, those hushed whispers its bête noir
Sifting into the abyss hiding its beauteous visage

Draped in mystery was this clandestine virgin

Piquant to its nature, they set sail on this truth pilgrimage
Desperate attempts, claims to purge the creed of vermin
Utopia they deemed, lured by this age old adage

Deep Lament, vain hunger drowned their prudent mettle 

Losing its clasp, for it was an epiphany that struck harder than metal
A tempest of the mind, this strife, brought to ease
Life is a balance of love and pain, and he then was like “Bitch please! “
From his fruitless pursuits, disillusioned by this concocted verse!
This greater truth, belittled the hegemony of the parallel universe.

-Jay Patravali

FY, B.Tech, Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore.



#7
The ceaseless cycle, it’s motion’s inevitability being the only constant; like seasons of fire and ice, one fading in the wake of the other…so are the peaceful revolutions; man calls that the ‘change’ in life.
It’s analogous to a methodology of keeping pace with time and is relative-meaning to say that with every new perception there is a birth of a new dimension to a possible change or an inception to a completely new definition to change itself. In that same restricted mind set, he catalyses his version of ‘change’ and then invariably terms that simultaneous passage of time as ‘his slow development’! Settling for one among the many options…after which there are no retractions. And finally, results come! Then through the moments of retrospection, anguishes over roads not taken; he once again teleports to that alternate dimension to assess his actions…whines over the split milk or steals a quick breath in appreciation for that fortunate moment of brilliance. In the manifestation of true love, real fear, pure ecstasy; he loses himself to an order of utopia…his definition of the real way of life. Then all the aspirations transpire in the present and the future is reserved only for abatement or sustenance of the present. Now even the slow development freezes and the wish for a change are forgotten.

-Aalap Shah
FE, Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani- Dubai


#8
It has been a long quest for the scientists to find life away from our planet. They have tried everything at their disposal but are still unsuccessful. It’s the nature of human mind to find answers of everything, including those unexplainable. So they began to reason the loss of alien life, and they found it in a theory called parallel universe. Like we organize our system, they organized the universe. They said that a dimension where only one set of physical laws are obeyed is called a universe. Hence they called it as universe (unit- one, verse- world) and then they started grouping them as follows:
Continue Reading
Many universe combine to form a metaverse (or multi-verse) and many metaverse combine to form zenoverse and many zenoverse combine ultimately to form an omniverse. This hierarchy of omniverse was proposed to solve many phenomenon like dimensional instability (black holes), some cases of impossible probability (for e.g., if you toss a coin, you have 1 in 2 probability, but after the toss, its probability vanishes, so it is believed, if it is a head here, it is a tail in another universe to make the probability to 1 rather than 0.5) and creation of universe. These theories lead to the concept of a parallel universe, which may exist in another dimension in the same space. Further, this was proved by the antimatter theory, according to which there is equal amount of antimatter created with the creation of matter, so it is possible that when matter in this universe was created, a parallel universe of antimatter was also created. Now that these theories have been established, it only remains to be proved practically which is sure to take many decades as proper technologies have to evolve for such experiments. Until then, we have got many problems to worry about, and live the matter for scientists to worry.

-Sriram Srinivasan
FE, SIES Graduate School of Technology

#9
A few years ago, my grandma died. I wasn't depressed, I wasn't shocked. I was rather curious. I had never experienced the pain of death of my loved ones.
So for me, it was a point of curiosity. Where did she go? Is she really no more? As far as I saw it, it was a human body destroyed now and that I’ll miss my dear lovable grandma. After the funeral, there were many instances that reminded me of her. But soon, the most intriguing thing happened; I could have sworn I saw her faint image in her room sleeping on her bed like she usually used to. Did I really see her so called “spirit”? Or did I see what I wanted to see? I wasn't really sure. But I thought about it and ended up researching and thinking about parallel universes.
Continue Reading
There are two or three theories based on parallel universes, one is that there are many earth's far away from our solar system which may or may not have humans and have a different life altogether. The next theory is that we have our own counterparts in another universe that has a completely different life story than we have although we may or may not have identical faces and identical environment. The final one which I found most plausible is that there is a parallel universe which coexists with our own.

We as humans are gifted with highest level of intelligence, at the same time; we do not have the gills of fish to survive underwater or cannot emit supersonic waves like a bat. Neither do we have the “sixth sense” as some animals are said to have. We have evolved to a form which will help us survive in our environment but there are many limitations to the body. Such limitations can stop us from perceiving things which may exist. There might be a man sitting beside you right now in another universe but he cannot see you neither you can see him because you’ll cannot see each other’s wavelength. Your bodily limitations stop you from doing so. So did I see my grandma’s spirit the other day? Maybe, maybe not, Humans find ways to grieve and rationalize their thoughts to cope up with sorrow and maybe that was my way. But it doesn't hurt to believe that my grandma is still with me, but in a happier place reliving a new beautiful life.

-Vignesh VK
FE, SIES Graduate School of Technology

#10
The never ending, the eternal void, the one which has no alpha and no omega. Yes, the universe is what I speak of. The universe is considered to be infinite. It is based on entropy i.e. randomness. But in all the innumerable combinations possible, there comes a time when an event has to be repeated. Somewhere in the unending cosmos, there may be another me. A universe in which I am a ruler, a genius who invented gravity, the writer of all great pieces of literature and the wealth owned by me can’t seem to fit in all the banks of the world. And also in another universe, I am a tattered beggar, living in ruins and living from hand to mouth, whose entire life is based on misery and sorrow, just waiting to die! Just one thought, just one turn, just a decision sets up a series of events which eventually have an end result. But what about the other part of the thought, the left turn or the yes instead of a no?  It is believed that these decisions which were not taken, materialize creating a different universe. The multiverse comprises of such universes, all intertwined and coexisting with one another in the fabric of time and space. Science believes that one day we will stumble upon an answer which will solve this mystery.

-Rohan Vivera
FE, SIES Graduate School of Technology


#11
I was walking down my childhood lane. The place where I was born and raised up only to leave it soon enough because life is not what it really is.
Of the faint memories are the ones which enthralled me. It was a heroic world back then. A devil was pursuing a beautiful young maiden, halting her progress towards freedom and being held back with more rigour with every step she took. There were a few others to whom she could have cried out for help but she continued to walk. It was only a couple of steps and the devil was circled up and beaten to pulp. I remember another time when a blind couple was trying to cross a busy road. That morning I was late for school but I crossed the road quickly and helped them to the other side.
Continue Reading
I am violently shaken by my brother. He presumed that I was dreaming. I believe I was living in the world where everything was perfect. It was that childhood which made me believe that the world was a good place with beautiful characters. Unfortunately I don’t live in that world and even more unfortunate is that I don’t have a character close to that level of goodness. I see dozens of blind people at the railway station every day. In my mind I am going to help them down the stairs but my body is chasing away to board the arriving train. I exist in this world and live in another being fully aware that I’ll not be able to walk on the parallel street ever.
-Rhythm Buaria
FY, B.L.S/L.L.B, Pravin Gandhi College of Law

And special mention to,


#

We often tend to believe, we are the supreme of the living. We are the most divine of all the life that exists on this planet.
I have a cat in my house. Whenever I tend to call her, my dad tells me: "Oh! Chhod do beta! Wo billi hai, nahi samjhegi!"
Looking at it from another viewpoint: Won't the cat be feeling the same? "These humans are so dumb. They don't understand my numerous and varying Meows and keep feeding me with that yucky milk"
Why do we keep regarding ourselves as the dominating species? That we exist in a dominating stratum. Isn't the cat thinking the same in A Parallel Universe?

-A.K.S
FE, SIES Graduate School of Technology

#

What you see, you comprehend. What you comprehend, you deem. What you deem creates perspective and is portrayed in your actions.
What you implement may not be taken into consideration in the world we live in. Human heart is fickle. We mistake our heart to be the decider of actions. But when we talk about heart and head, talking about one is like talking about the other. Just the way how the heart and head behave as two different aspects, even though they belong to the same body, the thoughts which could not be put forth, the human mind presumes it to happen, elsewhere, the place you do not belong to, yet it is still a part of you. Humans have almost reached the zenith of their thinking potential.
Continue Reading
What still remains a mystery is the existence of others like us. A few hundred years ago, we thought that Earth was the only planet which existed. Until we were introduced to a theory which said that we revolve around the sun. Then, something bigger was brought into the picture, eight other planets that revolve around the sun as well. There was a time when "universe" meant "all there is."; everything. It’s not a mere speculation, but a proven fact that our universe is far vaster than our wildest imagination. The notion of more than one universe, more than one everything, would seemingly be a contradiction in terms. Yet a range of theoretical developments has gradually qualified the interpretation of "universe."
-Shruthi Venkatesan
Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pune

#
Often times I have wondered what it must be like to live in a universe that mirrors my own, yet it differs to the core. Many versions of me living in worlds, each with different sets of choices. Wherein the truths of this life are the what-ifs of that life? What if this life is actually that life's dream?

I was lost in all such thoughts, flying over the Atlantic Ocean near Bermuda when I noticed the fluctuations and loss in cabin pressure. I have heard of the Bermuda Triangle. Read reports of planes and ships disappearing around this place.

Continue Reading
Heard rumors that it’s a portal into the unknown- a much feared realm- a parallel universe. Sure, my courier company doesn't believe in this: it’s a myth as per them as well as the government, but... As the turbulence increased, even my skepticism started changing into belief. I could see the ocean bubbling and foaming dangerously from the cockpit windows. The sight nearly gave me a heart attack. "NO! This can't be happening! I can't die! Not so early!" I desperately tried contacting the ATC, but got no response. Panic, wild panic gripped me. Stark fear clawed at my innards threatening to make me vomit. "I'm happy with my own version of the universe! Don't take me away God; please don't transport me somewhere else!" Finally, after 89 heart-stopping seconds of trying to not lose control of my plane, I managed to contact the ATC. Turns out, I had flown straight into a developing cyclonic zone. *Phew!* Got my life back. I thanked God profusely for teaching me the meaning of life... Yet, I still wonder... What if I actually had managed to open up a portal to another dimension- a parallel universe?
-Anushree Mondal

FY, B.Sc, St. Xavier's College.


#
In the Parallel Universe
Things happen in an amazing way, 
Not always how people say.
Light rays may take a turn
And even the water would let itself burn.

Sometimes, deserts would freeze
And vacuum would spread its arms to embrace the breeze.
The rainbow isn't coloured, it is black and white
and the darkness handholds the bright.

Sound is maintaining silence,
And even nonsense instils some sense.
There,sweet tastes bitter
And bread hasn't met butter.
Continue Reading
Smoke is ready to go green
And dust wants to get itself clean.
The rule in there is ‘Men First’
And even a mirage there is worth the trust.

In the parallel universe, trees take a walk
And silence breaks open to give a talk.
Time has found its stop
And bottom has found its top.

Far has walked to reach near
And even the ghosts are under fear.
There, east has met and the west,
And the sun wants to chill and rest.

January doesn't come before December,
And memories forget to remember.

In the parallel universe, world has taken up a change
Happy but strange.
There, my poem looks good and glared
As many of you have liked and shared.
-Vinay Hegde
FE, SIES Graduate School of Technology

One Response so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    Great articles guys! :)

Leave a Reply